our playing days

what a good time we had

Friday 1 January 2010

1968 My first big step.

 Although my story starts properly in 1973, firstly a brief glimpse into the way I got started in the business way back in 1968.
      My name is Mike Easter  I was a young apprentice engineer working at A. K. Diesel's  of Lowestoft. It was there I met Les Wright a drummer who talked me into starting a duo/trio to hopefully get some  pub work.
      I had been classically trained on piano since a very young age & although terrified, reluctantly agreed.
       On my 21st Birthday with my City & Guilds in  engineering passed with  with distinction & 5 yr apprentiship completed, I threw the lever of my engineers lathe down to 'off' position packed my toolbox & turned my back on engineering, never to return again.
 Les & I joined up with a good singer named June Potter, got ourselves an agent and imediately the work started to  pour in.


First booking, the Lowestoft Football Social club.



Our very first Business Card 'posh eh' ?


Jolly Sailors Pakefield


The Hopton White Hart was the busiest little pub between Lowestoft & Gt. Yarmouth. Being surrounded  by  a dozen holiday camps this tiny bar used to be heaving during summer. We played there many nights alternating with Peter Carter an entertainer  who played organ & sang with gusto. Especially when it came to his party piece "Rawhide". in which he would fire off a couple of rounds from a blank firing six shooter frightening the living daylights out of the few OAPs sitting there half asleep. Yes our Peter could certainly whip up a crowd. No 'elf & safety' in those days ! 
The Hopton White Hart (above)
Peter showing off his new Wem Copicat.



On the subject of old musical gear here are pages out of the Bell's catalogue  showing some of the guitars we all grew up with 


Peter Carter & his partner Ken Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment