our playing days

what a good time we had

Friday 1 January 2010

1969/70 Warner's Holiday Camp, Corton

I decided to take a resident pianist job at Warner's holiday camp Corton  five lunchtimes per week. A small decision at the time, but unknowingly one that was to shape the rest of my life. It was here I was to meet my 'wife to be' and Roger Lonsdale a caberet artist who would introduce me to life as a ''professional musician.'' 


Roger Lonsdale (centre) . Nicky Douglas (right), Nicky was the Entertainments manager at Warner's Corton. He was also a female impersonator with a very professional act on the same style of  Danny La Rue. Nick was a lovely bloke & was responsible for a very happy atmosphere amongst the staff

An Early postcard of Warner's Ballroom, probably 1950s. Although nothing much had changed except the fashion & that lovely grand Piano on stage. !
Warner's Wagtails. Aunties Sheila, Vanessa & Iris Singing Goodnight ! (Now the party begins)
Roger & I soon get playing a late night caberet set
The following Summer seasons I was enjoying a bit of compering and 'green coat' work.

ROGER HAD BEEN IN THE BUSINESS FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS, AND WAS DOING VERY WELL ON THE NORTHERN CABERET CIRCUIT. HE HAD BEEN PLAYING ABROAD  & AN APPEARANCE ON HUGHIE GREEN'S 'OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS' WAS ALSO IN THE PIPELINE. HIS BIGGEST PROBLEM WHEN APPEARING AT VENUES WAS OFTEN THAT THE KEYBOARD PLAYERS FOUND HIS ARRANGEMENTS DIFFICULT. ALTHOUGH MY CLASSICAL TRAINING HAD BEEN A HINDRANCE WHEN BUSKING WAS REQUIRED, I SOON DISCOVERED IT'S VALUE WHEN ACCOMPANYING CABERETS.
WITH THIS IN MIND WE DECIDED TO WORK TOGETHER.

2 comments:

  1. I worked with Mike when I was the camp photographer at Corton. I took some of these photo's....those were the days
    Aunty Iris, Roger, Sheila, Nicky, Aunty Jean, Dave Gascoigne and of course Uncle Arthur!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked with Mike when I was the camp photographer at Corton. I took some of these photo's....those were the days
    Aunty Iris, Roger, Sheila, Nicky, Aunty Jean, Dave Gascoigne and of course Uncle Arthur!!!!

    ReplyDelete